Wednesday, June 01, 2005

With moist eyes, and an ovewhelming feeling of gratitude, thank you KV Ankleshwar.

I am told I am not an emotional person. And just a moment back I had moist eyes.

My primary education and part of the secondary education took place in a small Hindi medium school in a small town of western India. Back then the classes were held in tents. As I moved up in grades, this little school also progressed. Even at the time of its inception, it had concentrated on all round development of a student, which back then was a rarity. Within two years the school had its own building, a huge cricket ground and a football ground. And in another 3 years, when I was in the 5th class, it had its own basketball court, volleyball court, believe this, a swimming pool and, now would you believe it!! an exclusive baseball ground. Baseball, even now, is not a popular sport in India. But my school back in the early 1980's had not just the ground and the kit but also a teacher who knew the game. Apparently it's no longer taught anymore.

And it was not just sports, but extra curricular activities too, in which the students of my school excelled. Debates, quizzes, cultural competitions were held very regularly.

Then in 1989, I left the town as my father was transfered down south. It was another life. A new school, a new environment. It has been more than 16 years, and meanwhile I have gone through the high school, the junior college and a bachelors degree in Electrical and Electronics, but over the years it has remained my favorite school, the ideal school. And my sports teacher, my favorite teacher. Today while googling for something, I saw a site address that sounded familiar. I could not believe it. In India, for all the IT expertise that we have, we Indians are not at all internet savvy. And, while those schools that charge fees and collect donations (with no receipts) matching figures that would shame the height of Mt. Everest, do maintain their own websites, their websites remain just an advertising propaganda(Check
this one out). While this school fees was a mere Rs 5 per month. And as I went through the pages, it has only become Rs. 100 (or less in some cases). But it's website contains not just the information related to facilities and infrastructure but it actually lists all the winners and toppers in the respective sports etc. That's leveraging the power of internet (and now check this one out).

And it has a website with the most updated information. Even the government of India's website shows the "ex-health minister" as the current health minister. That's how badly governed government institutes are in India. But clearly "my" school is an exception. Over the years, not only has it moved in the right direction, it has also not lost the essence of modern education ever.

And today as I look at its website, I have a sense of pride, a feeling of nostalgia, a gladdened heart and a sense of gratitude. I am what I am because of this school. And this school has gone the only way it has always gone, UP on its way to more glory.

May it always keep striving for the better. Moist eyes are no big deal.

3 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Aww, that's wonderful.

My old high school was amazing, before it got taken over by the last govt. and run into the ground.

Before that, it was a Catholic high school, administered by the MOST easy going, coolest nuns. Sisters of Mercy. Our motto was To Know, To Love, To Serve.

7:08 PM  
Blogger annush said...

that's super sweet.
and it's great to remember where we come from so we know where we are going, and when the past is still growing, then we have a lot to look forward to :)

9:32 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Thanks :)

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home