Monday, May 30, 2005

To HELL with computers

I have broken my head, my neck (because it hurts due to excessive strain), my spinal cord (coz of bending too many times to change the CD's, my fingers (because of over-typing), and my patience with Dell computer. But SUSE Enterprise Server version 4 just wouldn't stall. It is as if, it has explicit orders to not listen to my commands. Dell Precision 370. That machine has a Seagate SATA drive and SUSE ESL 9 just does not support it. Why? Because the software engineers, for reasons best known to them, send information in packets using Frame Information Structure (FIS), which splits the packets but not on block boundaries. As a result the SATA drive is either not recognized by the Linux OS or it is hanging during installation when I switch it to SATA / PATA mode.

For those of you who do not know about it, please bear with me. I have bore enough patience with Dell so far. So much for DELL PRECISION 370.

HELL INDECISION 370.



3 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Anoop, I know someone who's angry with them too. But I had the grandaddy of all bad computers, and it wasn't Dell.

Oh, did you ever read E M Forster's 'The machine stops'? No more computers.

11:16 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Well.... I do like Dell, just that I think IBM makes better PC's.

Nope, haven't read that one. Is it good?

11:19 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

The Machine Stops was written ages ago...don't ask me dates, I never know dates.

It is a short story / short book about the future. About people living underground, in little rooms, individuals in their own spaces, and their lives are completely controlled by one Big Machine. Food brought to them at the push of a button, etc.

Then the Machine stopped.

It is a great read. Makes you think. And think some more.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home