Friday, April 29, 2005

A couple of good ones.

Life of Pi - I am not sure what my thoughts are for the novel after reading it. Here is a story which is at once unbelievable but perhaps extraordinarily told. Actually I don't know if it was the fascinating account of the survival means adopted by Pi in the novel or just the desire to know the winner of the contest between a dreaded hunter, the tiger, and the most intelligent creation on earth, the man. I think its definitely worth one read.

The namesake - I had not read Jhumpa Lahiri before. Now I want to read her bad to figure out if she is consistent in delivering quality stuff. This novel is not about a dream man, doing dream things in a dream world. It's about a common man, as common as you and I are and the various phases of his life, as a student, his experience as a non resident Indian visitor, as a grown up and above all as a confused man trying to figure out life. There is nothing extraordinary about any of the characters and perhaps that's the extraordinary thing about this book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ciona said...

I purchased this book but have not read it yet. I will make it next on my list, though, and let you know what I think.

Came to your blog through the Poland Diaries. Take care!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home