Thursday, July 07, 2005

Brownie points

Perception is not reality. Don't we all know that? And yet we get trapped in the viciousness of it. This morning a funny incident occured. A colleague of mine walked in at around 11 a.m.

Now to reach her cubicle one needs to walk past the room of the "Boss", the seniormost guy who looks after India operations. Now she is carrying her stuff and all and she does not want the "Boss" to know the fact that she came very late. So what does she do? She comes near my cubicle, puts all her stuff in her cubicle reaching across from over my side and then walks past the cabin of "Boss".

Why are Indians so scared of their bosses? I have no idea. I love my office and I like my colleagues because bottomline is they all are technically good. But I hate it when someone tries to score a few brownie points. Take this, two of my colleagues come back from the respective vacations and get a whole set of chocolates/sweets for the manager's daughter, which she politely refuses. My respect for her has increased after the two incidents.

4 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I think bosses know when they are being 'sucked up' to. Some love it. Your boss is amazing, that it hasn't gone to her head.

Why didn't the girl who came in late say good morning to the boss and then, 'I'm sorry I'm late," and get on with her work?

6:40 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Well.. the point is this "Boss" ( now we do not really report directly to him), would not have cared also. My manager is pretty flexible about timing and as long as one is doing what one is required to do, it does not matter. But then it takes all kinds to make this world. Some are more bothered about the impressions they convey.

7:10 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I thought your boss was female, for some reason.

Hmm, yes, you're right, some will go to any lengths to convey the 'perfect' impression. As if who cares, as long as the work gets done.

12:29 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Yep its a she. The "BOSS" is the guy who is the overall incharge of India operations and even my boss reports to him.

My office is pretty good in the sense that all the managers except "BOSS" and "CTO" sit in private rooms. All other managers sit with the programmers. So this colleague needed to pass the room of the "BOSS", not our manager's cubicle.

Have I confused you totally ;)

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home