Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Poor Man's Sherlock Holmes

The more I read Hercule Poirot, the more I am convinced that he is a poor man's Sherlock Holmes. I have read all the adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (there are other stories from other writers too, hence.), many times over and ditto with Poirot. I know Agatha Christie has mentioned herself that she can not possibly emulate Sherlock Holmes. So why so much of a similarity? Why have Captain Hastings like Dr Watson? Why the invalidation? Why have Inspector Japp like Inspector Lestrade?

Was it a tribute to Sherlock Holmes? Or was it an attempt to better what Sherlock Holmes did?

Alas, one will never know!!!!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Anoop, what would happen to Sherlock Holmes and Poirot if they had spy cameras to work with? Some friends caught the maid stealing $$ yesterday with web cam, or some tech. thing like that. Big excitement.

I must share this Sherlock Holmes post with my mother, BIG Sherlock Holmes fan.

6:57 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

They will fail. They worked on "method." And they believed in patterns that governed the life of an ordinary man in the society. I am sure, this day, this age, they would have flopped big time.

But then I am such a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. He can not fail. ;)

7:00 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

How can Sherlock Holmes fail? He would adapt!

Would you believe, my mother bought yet another detective novel today. I don't even know this writer!

How's your flu? You okay now?

5:03 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oh...are you saying that today, patterns in behaviour don't exist?

Isn't human behaviour consistent, mad though people might seem today?

5:05 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Yep. you see Holmes went with so many things like shoe shine. Who cares to dust one's shoes these days. I mean people do but it no longer is a social pattern. Likewise other habits too. The thing is now we can not generalise anything.

10:25 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Hey what detective novel is that? Can you find out for me? Flu is fine. I mean I have cough but the cold is gone and you know what did I do to throw it off, dont you ;)

10:27 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

She bought some old, second hand Nero Wolfe book, "If death ever slept". Yyyyes, she says, she knows Nero Wolfe and has been reading those books for a long time.

Last night my cousin told me someone told her about the mustard oil cure.

Well I never.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home