Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Salon bliss

I was in a hurry.

And it was a case of once bitten twice shy too.

Oh I forgot to mention, I needed a quick shave. Here is a brief recap and the history behind it.
http://naturesveryown.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_naturesveryown_archive.html

So, I decided to go to a new salon today. Morning 8 o'clock. No customer inside it. Ahh this is my lucky day.

So I step in, and am confronted by this HUGE, pitch dark guy. Now this has nothing to do with the colour of a person, but it sure was a scary sight. But I tell myself, "Anoop calm your nerves." He is just a barber.
"Yes, with a knife that can slit your throat", said my alter ego.

So he offered me a seat and held my head and asked, "Hair cut?"

I got worried. I hate long hair on me and that effectively means that I go for a hair cut twice in a month. One can never find a hair more than an inch long on my head. So I was sufficiently scared. Its one thing trying to calm yourself down, when you see a HUGE man and quite another when the HUGE man is as blind, in mind (I was hoping he was not blind blind, though I could hardly make out), as he was.

"Sssshave...", I tried hard to sound straight and fearless.

This guy does a few things, asks me if I would like to use foam or cream. All the time his demeanour bordered on ......... well he looked to me, sufficiently monomaniac, well... perhaps a psychopath.

Anyway, when it was over, I asked him the amount and he mumbled something.

I could not make out what he said and I had no courage to ask him again. So I gave him a Rs 50 note, and he started clearing the table.

"Surely it can not be Rs 50", I told myself. But I could not bring myself to ask him that.

I stood the ground like a male Lion, who has just lost his pride and his territory to another more strong Lion, but who still wants something back.

Slowly I saw him walking towards me. He better not ask me, "What do you want?"

I took an aggressive posture. He passed me, went to the reception desk, handed me over, "Rs 30".

But the market rate is "Rs35." why is this guy charging me only Rs 20?

Oh well, now as I think of it, I must have scared the shit out of him.

8 Comments:

Blogger DCveR said...

Kind of a communication problem there, wouldn't you say?!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Icylyrics said...

soooo, you know I can't help but ask, how was the haircut? Were you pleased, and how much did the hair cut amount to in American dollars?

(for those of us who have no brain when it comes to rates of exchange)

5:40 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Icy, it was a shave.

Haircut in a decent salon costs around Rs40. which is just a few cents short of a Dollar. 1 USD = Rs 45 around.

Pretty cheap right? Most Indians who visit US for a brief period leave after getting a hair cut.

Infact the joke is,

One day, in NY, a Florist goes to the Barber for a haircut. After the cut, he grabs for his wallet and the Barber says "I am sorry, I cannot accept money from you;
I am doing Community Service." The Florist is happy and leaves the shop. The next morning when the Barber goes to open his shop,there is a Thank you card and a dozen roses waiting at his door.
A Cop goes for a haircut and as he reaches for his wallet to pay the Barber, the Barber replies "I am sorry, I cannot accept money from you;
I am doing Community Service." The Cop is happy and leaves the shop.
The next morning when the Barber goes to open his shop, there is a Thank You card and a dozen donuts waiting at his door.
An Indian goes for a haircut and as he grabs for his wallet, the Barber says "I am sorry, I cannot accept money from you; I am doing Community Service. The Indian is, of course, very happy and leaves the shop. The next morning when the Barber goes to open his shop...
Guess what he finds there????

A dozen Indians waiting for a free haircut!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Wow, I wish I could get a haircut here for that price. I've been cutting my own hair for the past 5 years because it's just too expensive.

9:40 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Herrrre he goes again! Anoop, what happened to the last barber? I know he took forever but he did a good job...after cracking knuckels and so...

Haha, sounds like Guyanese going for the free haircut!! Or any West Indian.

9:41 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

You are welcome, Jen.

Vikings.... I swear (damn I sound like a Blonde married to a super rich guy or GG ;) ), and you know what, I went to this mall (Galleria) in White Plains, NY and I needed a hair cut badly. So I saw a salon and I entered it. Good that I asked the lady, how much it costs.

$120..... Man... I was speechless. $120 for a hair cut!!!!!!!!

GG, I did not have time... So I went to this new Salon. Remember TIME?

Time is money....
Women want your time and money.

Women want you money (coz time is money) and money.

Women = money x money.
women = (money )^2
Money is the root of all evil.
Women = (root of evil )^2
Women = evil.

;)

Damn, Einstein will be proud ;)

11:47 PM  
Blogger annush said...

that was really cute. I can totally see how YOU scared HIM.

1:34 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ohhhh shucks. You mean I sound like a blond married to a super rich guy? Ha. I only wish :-D

Actually, I'd like to be like J K Rowling. Make my own.

I didn't do Math, so I don't understand that almost Einstein thing Anoop haha...

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home