Monday, June 06, 2005

Old habbits die hard.

Indians have this tendency of addressing the seniors, "sir" or "ma'm". I am not talking about school. In a workplace. So there is this colleague of mine, and if I called him cute westerners would think I am either gay or a bi and I am neither, a cute(strictly in the sense of cute babies) bloke, who has just come out of the university. So he addresses our PM the same way. Today I asked him, why does he address her that way? Why can he not just call her by her first name, like I do. His answer was funny. He said he is habituated because he used to address his teachers that way.

Well I hope he does not get married. I dread to think of the consequences in case he does not change his "habituated habbits" after marriage.

My day is turning out to be pretty amusing really. ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger annush said...

well, it could be kinda cool to have a husband who calls you ma'am...

10:53 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

In my last job, a co-worker and I used to call our boss "Sir". Ohhhh, how he hated it, haha. But it was a creative environment and he soon got the joke.

A gal pal of mine, her boyfriend used to call her "Sir" because she was bossy.

I think the possibilities are endless, for sarcasm, with "Sir" and "Ma'am."

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home