Thursday, August 11, 2005

The road less travelled.

Driving is a pain in India. When I had started driving, I was as bad and as irresponsible as any other driver in India. I can not even recall how I got my driver's license. All I know is that I was asked by my Dad to be at a particular place at a particular time. Without being asked a single question and without being asked to drive at all, I got my license. I drove with gay abandon. To me, it was fun and no other thrill, except adventure sports, could have come near.

Then I went to US. I came to know that one needs to pass a written test first before appearing for the road test. I studied the small booklet that was freely distributed in the office of the motor vehicles something something. I became aware of the rules and what "right of way" means for the first time in my life. I realised honking is a bad habit and that driving is indeed a privilege but others have that privilege too. In a sense, it was a new beginning for me.

Now I am a responsible driver. And in India, that's a bad thing. Well, as they say be a Roman in Rome. And when I find only myself not breaking the rules by not driving in the opposite direction on a one-way road (its a very common sight), or waiting on an empty road for the signal to turn green, I do feel like a fool sometimes. It's been 3 years and I have no idea how long can I persist with vehicles behind me honking when the signal is red and the road is empty.

I hope it does. Two wrongs do not make it a right.

7 Comments:

Blogger DCveR said...

I kind of know the feeling, here the usual problem is parking. I am the 'idiot' that parks away from the place I want so I don't have to park over the sidewalk, then I have to walk back with a lot of 'smart alecs' parked over that very same sidewalk...

2:27 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Here it's baaad too, I think you will remember from my post about 'Dom Drivers'.

I've heard that in Italy it is a nightmare...read about it, heard about it...

And in Egypt too.

And Venezuela too. Oh...someone told me Thailand too.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Icylyrics said...

You should try driving in NY city. Now that is an experience worth writing about. I must do it one day soon.

12:53 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Oh, yes I have driven there. Many times. Had to drop a friend near the UN office, this one time. Took me more than an hour to do a mile.

And this one time (reminds me of American pie), I was returning from NJ and had paid $6 toll (is it Hoboken tunnel or Holland tunnel?), missed a turn (did not know it was there) and went straight ahead, did a U - turn, missed the turn genuinely this time, and went back to NJ. $12 toll :)

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DVDiva turns blogger (and we're better for it): a Q&a with "Pop Goes The Culture's" Nancy Adamson
Nancy Adamson is a long-time copy editor at the Midland Reporter-Telegram and currently Assistant News Editor.
It was nice to visit your blog.

I have a tax implications on home equity loans site. It pretty much covers tax implications on home equity loans.

3:09 AM  
Blogger piu piu said...

p is learning to crive now.please be quick! i'm sick of acting mum!

anoop get rid of those freaks using your blog for advertising. i get them too, nasty people

12:53 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

How do I get rid of them?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home