Sunday, August 14, 2005

Whispers of time - An untold story.

As I walked down the dusty path, in an almost barren land, sun simmering overhead, I located the building with the huge wall compound that was my destination. There was an unmistakable presence. A few goats and cows were either grazing, whatever little they could or lying in the small shelter of the shadow of the compound wall. The wall reflected the past glory of the occupants and as I neared the entrance, I could feel the unmistakable presence.

"You must have come here to know about him", I heard an unexpected voice ask me.

Startled I turned to my left, nodded my head in agreement.

"What do you know about him?", it asked me again.

"Nothing much really", I looked at the thick cover of dust which had enveloped the owner of the voice. "There is not much to gather information about him, I guess."

"Yes, there isnt. Unfortunately, a tale which could have inspired millions, a tale of love, a tale of passion and a tale of patriotism, was chronicled only by the oppressor. Do you know why he was killed?"

"I have an idea. It was because he had started the revolt, refusing to bite the grease cartridge for the rifle. Isnt it?"

"If it has to be told in one line, that is the reason. But do you really believe, that such a thing could lead to a revolt?"

"Why not? Indian brahmins, back then, were supposed to be very particular about it all. So yes."

I heard it laugh. "You really think it is all that black and white, don't you? There is more to it. Would you like to know? It is a long story and I can not offer you tea or anything else."

I nodded, "I am fine, thank you. Please do tell."

And then started the story of love, of betrayal, of sacrifice, of heroism and above all of patriotism. When it was over, the sun had almost set, and the clouds were overcast. I had goosepimples all over. Overcome with emotions, I asked, "And you have mutely witnessed it all?"

"Yes. That is what I am supposed to do. I can only hear, I can only see, I can only be passive. I can only shed a tear when someone wants to listen it from me. Thanks for listening out", said the stone before going back to its familiar deaf role, into a mute sleep, the state it had been in for I don't know how many centuries, leaving me there thinking about the story of that man called Mangal Pandey, the story of the person who ignited India's first freedom struggle in 1857 which the British historians merely termed a "Sepoy mutiny."

In the sands of times, it is but one story never told to the generations that followed.





8 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Wow, you did it beautiful, Anoop, beautifully told. The earth tells her stories.

I'm going to see the movie when it comes out.

7:57 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Your writing does justice to your hero!
Honestly.
It seems I'll have to see The Rising Also.
I've been looking for Black here in Portugal but with no luck. Good Half will be flying to the US this week, maybe she can get it there.

6:07 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

OH DAMN... its not a very good movie. The only good thing about it is the acting. This movie is surprisingly low on content. Something I did not expect from an Aamir Khan movie, full of cliche sequences and melodramatic sequences which are hard to fathom.

10:47 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

And Amir Khan spent so much $$ on it, oh dear. I feel it for creative people when...

4:28 PM  
Blogger piu piu said...

that was beautiful anoop. it does india proud.

9:33 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

So if we want to know a little bit more about it what should we read?

11:56 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Dcver : History? Unfortunately there is none documented. Absolutely nothing. Infact there was a book written perhaps by the title of "Mangal Pandey: Brave Martyr or Accidental Hero". Then there is a British account of it in Military records. There is no family trace.

And no, dont watch the movie. It would be a waste of time. Really.

Yep GG. Though Aamir did not produce it. He did produce Lagaan, which was a very good movie, but definitely not Oscar material as they tried. I am not saying Oscars get it right always. Never thought Russell Crowe would win it for Gladiator. I mean Gladiator is not a great movie by any stretch of imagination, nor his acting. And if it is, then I think, Khuda-Gawah (God Witness) of Amitabh was spectacular. Likewise, Denzel Washington's role in "Training Day" was just about bearable. And it was a terrible movie. Russell Crow should have won it for "A beautiful Mind"... Well... I guess my opinions only :)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Rand said...

What, this is a movie? I'm so out of touch with my Bollywood...

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home