Wednesday, June 08, 2005

IH2 - The American connection

In the last post I had mentioned that most Indians don't like USA. Now here lies a very subtle point. They don't dislike the Americans. They just do not like USA. Well I could never figure out the difference. So I will move on to the next one in the series of Indian Hypocrisy (You will find the first part here).

Most Indians, and specially those from Punjab and AP, like to go to USA. Nothing wrong with that except that they want to go and settle in US before actually leaving India. It is almost as if their only aim is to go and settle in US. It's not that they have to go down in the history as someone who beat Columbus in discovering USA in certain new ways. They know nothing about USA, except have some misleading images told by some expatriate or from Hollywood movies. The worse part is that it's not prevalent just among the poor section of the society, it's almost a fashion statement to say, "My son/daughter is in US" for the strong Indian middle class. Unfortunately down south, it also means more dowry for the son. An absolutely deplorable practice but continues unabated because ..... perhaps it can be the topic of IH3.

And the son or the daughter (in most cases, she goes as a daughter in law) flies off to the US, and files the green card. After a few years, he/she is an american citizen and can not come back to India because his/her children don't like India and can not adjust in India. Well, dont blame them for Christ's sake. They themselves could not live here, why blame the poor souls who are born in US? I have nothing against America and Americans but just as I am sure any American would not want to settle outside of US, permanently, I would not like to settle anywhere outside India. And definitely not because I will get more dowry or I can sleep with some Blondes (well I find all women equally beautiful or sexy) or because the living conditions in USA happen to be much better than they are in India. I don't expect an American or for that matter any outsider to come and change things in India for the better?

7 Comments:

Blogger annush said...

I am an American and I am dying to get the hell out of here. India has always looked real nice to me...

1:22 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

I am not in your shoes Annush, so I dont know why do you want to get out of USA. But for the brief period of about 3 years that I was there, I liked it. Ofcourse, there are problems with USA and Americans are perhaps the most ill-informed/ignorant people in the world.But that is because they were self sufficient till 2001.

9:04 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I think I can live aaaanywhere in the world as long as there are no bandits threatening to pound down my door. And as long as I have electricity and water.

Anoop, I know people like to say Americans are the most ill informed, etc...but I've met ill-informed, ignorant right here in the Caribbean. I've found, after travelling to different countries, and meeting people from all over the globe, that ill informed, ignorant people are ALL over the world.

7:49 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Except there is a difference Gyal (Lol can I know your name or some other nick? Calling Gyal sounds weird :).

Some are ignorant because they have more important things to do, more pressing needs. Americans are ignorant by choice.

7:57 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

How about 'Guyana' then, Anoop? 'Gyal' is really our local way of saying 'gal'. Or G.G. That sounds like Gigi :-)

I think Americans are just as busy trying to make a buck like most people everywhere.

I've met folks who are 'educated' and wealthy, from other countries who are verrry ignorant by choice.

And right here, in Guyana, there are Americans who are curious, open minded, willing to learn new things.

Can I give you another example about another set of people, how we can be wrong about people?

Folks say that Jamaicans are [they list the negatives]. And I know personally that Jamaicans are some of the kindest people you can meet.

12:17 AM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make GG. (Sounds like LL for Laura Lyons.... ask me if you do can not crack who is she :))

People who are rich are often ignorant about the events happening around them, irrespective of the country. But, which country has the most number of rich fellas? USA. Hence.

There are Americans who are interested in other cultures and etc... .but they are very few. We might know a lot of those few, is another matter.

9:03 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, Anoop haha...

The problem with me is that when I'm happy I'm too easy going...arg arg arg...

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home