Monday, June 13, 2005

Blogging and the need of it.

Why does one blog?

This is perhaps my 5th blog site, having deleted all the previous blogs. I have tried to be personal, I have tried to be judgemental, I have tried to act smart, I have tried to act "holier than thou", heck I have even been casual but nothing satisfied me. The whole idea of blogging, I find it superficial and yet I continue blogging. Let me just jot down a few reasons why I think people blog.

1.) They want to maintain a personal diary. (... on the internet... oxymoron)
2.) They want to impress others.
3.) They just want to log their thoughts and daily happenings. (.... so why not the good old pen and paper? But then why not this either? This is convenient afterall!!!!)
4.) They want to be known and be famous. (Perhaps because they wanted to be journalists, widely read, but could never become one?)

Do shed your thoughts on this.
Why do I blog? I have no idea. These blogs would make for excellent case studies for Freud, of that I am very sure. There's hypocrisy, genuine feelings, jealousy, sub-concious manipluation.... you name it, everything at work.

Okay, also tell me why do you blog? I will definitely seek the answer for myself now that I have raised the question.

4 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I've thought about it so many times, why do I blog, why do others blog? I think many people blog to get attention...lots of lonely people out there. Lots of people seeking validation of self, lots of angry people venting [oh good grief, so many angry people...road rage taken into the home], and others blog because they love to write. I think some blog to sell their products too.

And ohhhhhh yes Anoop...the conflicts between bloggers and people blogging...some of them take to the limit, personal and all. Freud and all the other psychotherapists woule be happy. I know I love it, as a writer, I study the responses, it is amazing the stuff that comes out...jealousy, pettiness, meaness, people trying to be kind / nice [ever notice how the kind responses get the most ignored?]

Now...why do I blog? Because I totally LOVE writing, I write not only my blog but I write in my journal, my books [working on 1st to get published and 2nd being written], I write to share ideas, thoughts, and I love TALKING. I can talk the bark off a tree.

And why do I read other people's blogs? I'm truly a curious person...love to see what's happening in other people's lives...it's like looking through a window.

7:08 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Lol I loved "I can talk the bark off a tree".

All the best with your first book. I hope it becomes a success.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Icylyrics said...

Well for me I blog because it helps me in the creative process. I never even knew anyone read my blog until I happened to be scanning through some older entries a few weeks ago and saw where someone had left a comment. I read others all the time, but generally don't leave comments. In any case, I like to write certain thoughts out on the computer, although my deepest ones are in my journal which is just about full.

I never thought that people would do this to become famous. Famous bloggers, wow. The whole concept is sort of goofy....lol. But to each his own. I have seen some really deep, very descriptive blogs that could be publications within themselves. For me, I just need to say it and get back to work.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Hayden said...

I'm at Blogster too and its an entirely different world. Each blog has a counter (blogeyes) so people become competitive. Routinely someone will post a melt-down blog threatening to quit because "no one is listening or cares."

very strange.

I don't know what I think until I write it, so I write a lot. This seemed just another way to do it. Then people come in and ask questions and have opinions and it becomes a different thing - addictive. I love to hear what people think and say - not just in response to mine, but in general.

I started at Blogspot to find my voice in silence. Instead I found people who are even more interesting! And I "chat" more here than I ever did there! I think people are fascinating.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home