Friday, June 10, 2005

Double, on the rocks.

"Why are we doing this?"

And my manager was ready to clutch her hair, actually pluck them out, out of sheer desperation. She must have thought, why did I pick this dumb guy in my team!! A little over 15 days, and instead of trying to solve an issue, if one asks one's manager, that question, it sounds less of a harmless, innocent question and more like a time bomb ticking.

Except I wasn't convinced. And then we had a discussion and she saw my point.

Do you have any idea what I am trying to say here? My fault, I haven't even mentioned it yet.

The thing is, I love computer programming. Now there are two types of software industries in this world. One is the product development, in which India is nowhere in the world map and this is where the big chunk of money lies. The other is the software services industry. This is where India is the global leader, but this market is dictated by the product market really. Now I had always wanted to be associated with some real hardcore product programming in C. Which is what I got in this current job.

So I am lucky to get the job I love because now I won't have to work another day in my life, as long as I am with this company.

But more importantly, all that is easily ruined if you have a manager who would only be as good as passing the words of his/her boss to the sub-ordinates. And this is where I am very lucky. I have a manager, who is technically good (ahhhh such a relief) and she listens and understands your point as well.

Double, on the rocks.

cheers.

1 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Cheers indeed. A good manager who listens!!!

I wonder how many managers know that they are the ones who can make or break a business?

I've been in great jobs that turned to nightmares after some dreadful women managers started stomping and carrying on...encouraging news carrying, gossip, telling staff not to keep company with so-and-so person...brrrr....

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home