Monday, June 13, 2005

I love sports .... and the sportstars.

1985.

I was 10. I could have been anything, could have followed anything and could have dreamt of anything. Such a tender age it is. And there was someone, many thosand miles apart, born in a nation which badly wanted a hero, of the right kind, was 17 and quite surprisingly mature beyond his years.

1986.

I was 11 years old. Still, could have been anything, could have followed anything and could have dreamt of anything. Tender age, again. And there was another someone, many thousand miles apart again, born in a nation where passion thrives, drug rules, a nation which is a classic example of "if only", the most tragic feeling of all. That someone, single handedly, and quite literally too, won his home country the prestige that it had lost to England in a war 4 years ago.

1991.

I was a 16 year old teenager. I had dreams, I had imagination and I had the attitude (read foolish beyond imagination). It still was tender age though, okay... not so tender. And thousands of miles away again, a South American beauty stole my heart with her smile, and ....errr.... her dress. She was not a talent but her backhand shots are perhaps the best in the history of the women's tennis. And she remains the most beautiful to woman ever to have played professional tennis, atleast to me.

Boris Becker, Diego Maradona and Gabriela Sabatini. Three sports stars who developed my interest in sports. Today I am an avid sports follower. Besides cricket, which is a religion in India (and this is a cliche now), Sergei Bubka, Alexander Popov, Lance Armstrong, Aryton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Geet Sethi, Mike Russell, Stefan Edberg, Steffi Graf, Yelena Isinbayeva... the list is long, I have admired many.

And my current fav in men's sports and atheletics are "Roger Federer" and "Marat Safin".
And the woman who has stolen my heart for this brief while? Ivet Lolova.

Romancing with the atheletes, eh?

4 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Cricket Anoop. Cricket!!!!!!

I love the sound, the atmosphere, the crowd, the food, oh cricket for me is like a little holiday.

My team? The Windies.

The best lookin' cricketer in the world? Rahul Dravid! And I love Ganguly's smile, so charming and open.

7:12 PM  
Blogger annush said...

the only athlete who shall forever have my heart is david beckham. i don't know how sso much perfection could have ended up in one human!

10:15 PM  
Blogger F-ftOS said...

Lol GG, Rahul Dravid is indeed liked by many girls.

Well Annush, thats seriously debatable, I mean any kind of perfection in David Beckham. Ofcourse I do not know him personally and so I cannot talk about him as a human being. Anyway, to each his own.

10:59 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

When India comes to Guyana to play against the Windies I might end up backing India because of Rahul Dravid, if he's playing.

Terrible!

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home